New rules for driving in Europe

March 26, 2019
Contact us
Request a call back

With the date for the UK’s exit from the EU fast approaching the DVSA (Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency) is issuing guidance on what will be required to drive in the EU in the future. While some requirements such as whether vehicles will be required to display a “GB Sticker” will depend on the details of the UK’s exit other requirements are more certain.

The Government is advising that from 28 March 2019, all commercial trailers over 750kg and all trailers over 3,500kg must be registered before they can travel through countries that have ratified the 1968 Vienna Convention on Road Traffic, this includes the EU. Relevant trailers making international journeys will need to:

  • be registered with the DVLA
  • display their own registration plate (separate from the towing vehicle)
  • be able to present the Trailer Registration Certificate to a foreign authority on request

Trailers can be registered using the GOV.UK website at:

Further information about driving in Europe can be found on the GOV.UK website at:

General information can be found on a dedicated Brexit website at: